Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Story

My art journal is, at long last, mostly finished. I kept thinking I might add a bit to it, and still ponder the thought, but it seems that next chapter hasn't happened yet.

This Art Journal is basically my life story; where I've been, what I've discovered, how I've changed, where I'm going. Hope you enjoy!


This first page is pretty dark and sad, I know...but so was my life at this time! The passage on the right is from Ro 1:28
"Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."

I couldn't find a good photo for my sentiments here so I thought I'd sketch one. Just a quick pencil sketch with marker outline and some pastel (not properly blended I know because the paper I used wouldn't give).
 Text here is Psalm 107:14 "He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and burst their bonds apart."


I was super happy with this page. I'm a messy art journaler and like an older, vintage style look vs. nice clean scrapbooky type lines. I originally had a photo of an eye from a magazine pasted on the left side but in my artistic frenzy I dribbled paint all over and had to make my own. A major accomplishment for me since I don't do realistic painting AT ALL. So there it is, my first painted eye...not bad for a beginner although I have a much greater appreciation for peoples ability to mix and deliver proper skin tone in portraits now that I've tried it myself. Wow, that's tough. Also, I still dribbled a little white paint where I didn't want it. I'll learn more precision someday.

Lots of experimentation here. I really liked the texture of a few of the papers, tried some bubble wrap painting (soooo fun!), and my first try with glitter gel...still not sure what I think of that because it takes FOREVER to dry. I suppose you could blow dry it like some art journalers do but I'm just not that into it.

I could NOT believe I found this awesome quote in a magazine. Matched so many Isaiah thoughts I've had. I had to play around with how I wanted to break up the statue (the way I really wanted to wouldn't fit on my page) thus the extra tears in the photos, but, like I said. I'm messy and I think that adds to it:)

This was my favorite photo, by far, but I realize I totally destroyed it. I will use Modge Podge and a credit card to smooth out a big photo like this next time. This is the first time that messy-lazy art didn't work out in my favor:( It's hard to see here but the bottom scrap spirals and stands off the page. I tried several things to get it to this point but some little crumpled paper and drip glue underneath certain parts did the trick.

 They are supposed to kind of go/flow together. The scrap scribbles are Je 18:11 "..but the vessel was spoiled...so He remade it into another vessel as it pleased the potter to make" This page is really supposed to show the pain of being reshaped and smashed. Like the Oscar Wilde quote ''How else but through a broken heart may Lord Christ enter in?''

 Ooops, I almost forgot this one! Lyrics are Ginny Owens "You Call Me Beautiful"(I think that's the title)

Last page...kind of a 'where I'm going' page (especially pertains to children).

I Still don't have my cover for this art journal and I'm not sure I need one. The strange 70's cartoon on the front is kinda cool actually;) 

To HEAR my story as spoken to a congregation of about 150 (?) you can copy and paste this link:

http://northbaychurch.org/index.php?s=gl&nid=174971

It's really hard to hear so you'll need a very quiet room, decent speakers and about 25 to 30 minutes time.


No comments:

Post a Comment